Spring in Prague is my favorite season. The time when the city wakes up simultaneously with nature, the weather is getting better and the list of things to do for tourists and locals is getting bigger.
March in Prague
The first spring month March is quite fresh. After the winter cold it still coughs with bit of snow and sneezes with blows of cold wind. Though the first spring sun tries to warm March up, some days you don’t feel that the spring has come.
Weather in March
According to my experience and forecast web pages, the average temperatures in Prague in March are between 0 and +8. As mentioned above it can be windy, rainy or snowy. Or it can be quite warm like in the picture above.
So if your plan is to visit the Czech Capital in March, better bring your winter clothes: hats, gloves, scarfs. Though it might happen that you don’t need them. Of course you can buy these things in one of the numerous shopping centers of Prague, but this will increase your budget.
- Average temperature in Prague in March Day: +8 °C
- Average temperature in Prague in March Night: 0 °C
- Number of sunny days in Prague in March: 5
- Average rainfall in Prague in March: 23 mm
- Relative average humidity in Prague in March: 73%
Events in Spring
One of the brightest events in Prague in March is St. Patrick’s Day which is held on the 17!of March. All Irish pubs will be full, main squares crowded with green headed people celebrating quite a new holiday for Czechs.
These are three most popular Irish Pubs in Prague to have a beer and celebrate St. Patricks:
- James Joyce Irish Pub;
- Rocky O’Reillys Irish Bar;
- Dubliner Irish Bar.
April in Prague
Frankly speaking this is the most beautiful month to spend in Prague. Especially its second half, when on every hill, in every garden and park explode huge flowers of magnolia. Depending on weather it may begin between +10 – +15 and +20 – +25 of April. This period is the gap between winter and spring.
Weather in April
The temperature is going up and reaches some +14 or even +18 during the day. Although at night it may fall till +4 No winter clothes needed of course, but a warm sweater should be in your luggage for sure.
- Average temperature in Prague in April Day: +14 °C
- Average temperature in Prague in April Night: +4 °C
- Number of sunny days in Prague in April: 5
- Average rainfall in Prague in April: 32 mm
- Relative average humidity in Prague in April: 67%
In April locals celebrate Easter – another religious holiday. I wrote about it a special article. The holiday will be held between 01 and 23 of April. Main square will be packed with stands with local and handcraft goods.
More and more couples choose Prague as the destination for pre-wedding trip or engagement photoshootings. So in case your are in love and your love travels with you to Prague in April, think of having a session with professional Czech wedding photographer, who speaks English.
May in Prague
May in Prague is the warmest month of local spring. It is also unofficial start of summer touristic season. In Russia and post-soviet countries people have almost a week of holidays and many of them travel to spring Prague.
Weather in May
Sometime it is very hot: up to 20-25 Celsius. It is quite a dry period, but sometimes with rains as in 2013, when it was a flood. Temperatures are between 15 and 25. This is the time to up light clothes and to enjoy the trip to Prague in may.
- Average temperature in Prague in May Day: +22 °C
- Average temperature in Prague in May Night: +10 °C
- Number of sunny days in Prague in May: 10
- Average rainfall in Prague in May: 40 mm
- Relative average humidity in Prague in May: 70%
Warm spring vibes bring a lot of events into the calendar of Prague. These are:
- Prague food festival in Prague castle;
- St John’s Navalis Sou d and light show on the river;
- Rum fest is an amazing chance to taste about 100 brands of Rum;
- Czech beer Prague festival in Letna Park;
- National Holiday – Liberation day;
- Prague marathon weekend;
- Magnetic music Festival – one of the most popular and attractive Electronic music festival in Central and Eastern Europe.
- and many other.
Things to do
For any season it is a good idea to see Prague early in the morning. I suggest having a morning Early Bird City Tour with guide and photographer. Together you will see the city of Prague, its Old and New towns, Charles Bridge and Mala Strana. As a bonus you get some nice photos.
These tours are the best start of Prague discovery!
- Private bike tours start in Spring as well. From Prague you will get to Karlstejn castle or even Vienna. All the routes can be adjust for your personal needs.
- Boat trip on Vltava river with dinner and live music can be a good way to wind up the day of walking around attractions of Prague. 990 CZK or 35 Euros and you have 3 hours of time to enjoy the views of the Czech Capital.
- Prague Hills tour will be a good option on a sunny day to see the city from the three peaks and to understand why the call it – the city of hundred spires.
Prague in Spring is quite good for a trip. March, April or May. Whatever you choose, your vacations will be amazing. Share your plans and experiences after visiting Czechia in the comments below.